Picking out pillows and fabrics to create a designer look can be really tricky if you do not know where to start. Here are the tips you will need to know in order to get a unique and stylish designer look on a DYI budget.
1. FIND THE INSPIRATION. Pick one fabric you love and want to be the main pattern in the space. The fabric can be used as a pillow, wallcovering, drapery, or upholstery. It is up to you and then you can coordinate off this pattern.
2. ODD NUMBERS. Use an odd number of patterns when choosing your fabrics. Stick to 3 or 5 patterns in a smaller residential setting.
3. COMMON THEME. Choose something in common (color,the same color intensity such as jewel tones or theme such as ocean). Choosing something in common will help connect all the various patterns in your space.
4. SCALE & STYLE. Try and mix large, medium and small scale prints so they do not compete for attention and vary the style from traditional to modern.
5. SHARE THE LOVE. Spread the visual weight around throughout the room so that the eyes can bounce around as opposed to drawing to one point unless you would like it to be a focal point.
6. LOVE THE TOUCH. Texture can be used as a pattern. A mix of great textured fabrics and patterned fabric create depth and visual interest.
Still confused? Check out this inspiration gallery and get to it 🙂